In 2010, Ross Morrison McGill founded @TeacherToolkit from a simple Twitter account in which he rapidly became the 'most followed teacher on social media in the UK'. In 2015, he was nominated for '500 Most Influential People in Britain' in The Sunday Times as one of the most influential in the field of education - he remains the only classroom teacher to feature to this day ... Sharing online as @TeacherToolkit, he rebuilt this website (c2008) into what you are now reading, as one of the 'most influential blogs on education in the UK', winning the number one spot at the UK Blog Awards (2018). Today, he is currently a PGCE tutor and is researching 'social media and its influence on education policy' for his EdD at Cambridge University. In 1993, he started teaching and is an experienced school leader working in some of the toughest schools in London. He is also a former Teaching Awards winner for 'Teacher of the Year in a Secondary School, London' (2004) and has written several books on teaching (2013-2018). Read more...

13 thoughts on “The Verbal Feedback Project

• 18th November 2017 at 11:04 am

I am in favour of verbal feedback it not only enables students to ask for expansion and clarification on the comments, particularly if they are developmental points (too many read feedback and say “what does that mean?” rendering the written feedback a waste of time for both parties) and also keep the teacher in the zone. Often I’ve written comments and then been asked what I meant by them and out of context, days or weeks later I’ve not got a clue what I was talking about without spending time trying to get back into the zone.

• 21st November 2017 at 12:16 am

This sounds like a brilliant idea and I’d like to try it out with my students.

• 1st February 2018 at 6:08 pm

Hi Sameeya, Yes, would love you to but we have to keep our focus on the schools already committed; it’s a challenge keeping these 100 research schools on task. Thanks for interest. Follow #TTkitResearch on Twitter for updates.

• 28th January 2018 at 4:22 pm

Am I too late to join?

• 28th January 2018 at 5:15 pm

Hi Kathryn, it’s never too late. Get in touch via the website and we’ll send you the information.

• 18th November 2018 at 7:29 pm

Where can I find the results of this research project or is still ongoing? I’ve been trying to raise the profile of verbal feedback in my setting, so I’m hunting for evidence of its effectiveness. Many thanks!

• 20th November 2018 at 1:43 pm

Is this the same research project which had an initial data upload in late December 2017, with a closing date set for the end of January 2018 for analysis? Just checking that I haven’t missed anything as I haven’t read your blog posts about this before. Thanks, Lewis

• 20th November 2018 at 2:07 pm

Hi Leiws, yes that’s the one. Out of the 100 schools, only 5 submitted any data and I found myself chasing information and receiving no replies. UCL has since funded the research and with their capacity, we should be able to get something out in 6-12 months.

• 20th November 2018 at 5:02 pm

I see, thank you very much for explaining! I assume that we’re too late to get involved in the research?