How can teachers help improve student outcomes through reading?
Our 143rd interview is with Ruth Everett, an English teacher for almost 40 years who supports senior leaders and colleagues to help student outcomes in reading.
Listen to the podcast (32 minutes)
In this podcast, listen to Ruth and Teacher Toolkit host, Libby Isaac discuss:
- The importance of reading out loud to children
- Academic languages for different subjects
- The challenge Scientific words pose to non-fluent readers
- Methods to teach children how to read
- Fluency Strands and how to observe them
- The positive impact of making mistakes in front of students.
We would fight at ‘bedtime’ to read to our children. Those who have that rich start at home, early intervention, they have a foot in the right direction – the Matthew Effect.