How can we use research to banish bad behaviour?
Why not use the EEF research to plan targeted behaviour interventions?
- Who? Which names crop up time and time again? Make these pupils your target.
- What? Search for proven programmes to improve behaviour. To make the intervention truly personalised and poignant, content should largely depend on the issues that arise.
- When and where? What day and time should this intervention occur, and in which space? The devil is in the detail.
- With whom? Which adult is best suited to the child? Again, carefully match the intervention to the child.
- What next? The EEF found that interventions led for 2-6 months made the most impact. Rome wasn’t built in a day so commit to see the progress.
Why is it a good strategy?
I suppose it’s a ‘if you fail to prepare, be prepared to fail’ kinda thing.
It is also noted that parental involvement aids the impact of these behaviour interventions. Keep parents informed and on side with regular communication.