Have you had any golden moments lately?
Many educators will have heard that showing gratitude by identifying ‘three good things’ about your day is beneficial to wellbeing. How can we put this knowledge into practice? Try this idea to see how gratitude may transform your classroom into a wellbeing haven!
Three Golden Moments
- Share with pupils how showing gratitude in our lives can boost our wellness.
- Find four minutes a day to share gratitude with your form or class. Keep this time protected.
- Minute one: model your Three Golden Moments of the day. Explain that these can be tiny moments or huge successes, but are things you are grateful for about your day. Model writing them on the board.
- Minute Two: provide pupils one minute to discuss their three golden moments. Share one or two very briefly.
- Minute Three/Four: ask pupils to jot their golden moments onto a post it or into a journal.
- End with a long, deep inhale and exhale.
Why is it a good strategy?
Research has found this type of activity to improve wellbeing and promote optimism. Eventually, with daily practice and modelling, this activity could change a pupil’s way of thinking and encourage a positive mindset.
Let pupils opt in or opt out of sharing their golden moment – these moments may be very personal, and some pupils may prefer to keep their private.