This is a blog about a seminar I am leading at McGill University in Montreal, Canada this week. This post title takes the name from a prior blog of mine, The Visual Anatomy of a Great Teacher and is also a small insight into my forthcoming new book, due for publication in the autumn of 2015.
This is a summary of my presentations and work I am leading as part of the Distinguished Educator Seminar Series at McGill University in Montreal, Canada on 17/18th February 2015. As part of my session with 150 Canadian teachers from all over Quebec, I focus on one key question and one key issue; What is a Good Teacher?
I am taking my first steps towards leading teacher-training overseas!
The Vitruvian Teacher:
The hashtag for this session is #LCiiMcGill
The Vitruvian Teacher is about effective teaching for long-term resilience. This is my spin on the first 5 years of teaching, with the principles of Marcus Vitruvius Pollio in mind … In my presentations, I ask ‘what is a good teacher?’ Each session will provide practical reflection on teaching and learning for all classroom teachers, which will focus on enriching the teaching experience by taking the teacher back to basics; placing pedagogy in the hands of the busy classroom practitioner to generate maximum impact in the classroom. How can you make student learning highly enriching whilst enriching the teaching experience? How can school leaders address workload and keep common sense at the heart of classroom practice?
In my sessions, I will focus on;
- Make instruction highly engaging and active for students
- Simplify lesson planning Improve marking so that students act on feedback
- Design assessments that require student responsibility
- Set inspiring; differentiated and self-selecting homework
- Identify ways to gather evidence in observations of self/peers
- Review teaching and shift pedagogy to be a leader of learning
- Become a “Vitruvian” teacher and enrich your work life.
Download the poster.
Here is a snapshot of my own INSET programme I have designed for the day.
Here are the links for all of my presentations. They are all Powerpoint files …
- Session 1 – What is a Good teacher?
- Session 2 – A Valid Landscape for Teaching and Learning?
- Session 3a – Mark – Plan – Teach
- Session 3b – Plan – Teach
- Session 3c – Teach
- Session 4 – TakeAwayHmk
- Session 5 – Speed Dating
- Session 6 – Brilliant Behaviour.
I am due to lead a webinar online on 18th February with LEARN (Leading English Education and Resource Network). This will take place in Laval.
I will blog this as soon as I can. The hashtag for this online session is #LQWebEvent