Information: These simple and highly-effective traffic-light wristbands help vulnerable pupils offer non-verbal communication to signal to their teacher about how they are feeling in the classroom. Follow all statutory safeguarding procedures – this resource is offered as an additional strategy for teachers to use in their classrooms. Find more: www.TeacherToolkit.co.uk.
- Cut out all 3 paper wristbands. Each wristband measures 210mm x 12mm
- Ensure that the individual pupil is aware of each coloured wristband and how they should be used.
- Red = “I’m struggling today … I need the teacher to do XYZ. Can you ask me [this particular] question.”
- Yellow = “I’m okay, but I am not feeling so confident about [XYZ]. I may need some time out for [XYZ] …”
- Green = “I’m really good today. You can expect work from me as normal …”
You can listen to Sarah explain the concept in our podcast (12 minutes).