How well do your students communicate how they are feeling?
Our 22nd interviewee for the 100 Women series is Dr Sarah Vohra. Sarah is a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist, specialising in the mental health of children and young people and Ross McGill catches up with her in Bloomsbury, London.
In this episode you can hear Sarah and Teacher Toolkit founder Ross McGill:
- describe a typical working day for a psychiatrist
- look back on Sarah’s own education
- reveal the ups and downs of being a doctor and what made her want to specialise in psychiatry
- discuss how to support teachers in communicating with children with mental health problems
- explain how she’d like to see mental health funding invested in education
- suggest an excellent practical strategy for how to help children display they are struggling with their mental health
- discuss what audiobook Sarah has listened to recently.
Remember, our podcast is available on iTunes!
You can follow Sarah on Instagram and get more information about talking to children about their mental health on her website. Also, you can find out more about her book, Mental Health in Children and Young People.