Have you ever coached another colleague?
Coaches ask great questions. Coaching helps people to find a route towards their own goals making it a great way to provide clarity and develop self-confidence.
1. Deciding the destination
- What is it you want to achieve?
- How realistic is your goal?
- How long might this take?
2. Planning the journey
- What is the timeline of actions?
- Who else might need to be involved?
- What limitations might there be?
3. Reaching your goal
- In an ideal world, what would the best outcome be?
- How will you know things have gone well?
- What will you do once your goal is achieved?
Why try this?
Asking questions and allowing a colleague time to think and respond empowers them.
Avoid giving your colleague answers or directing their thinking – this creates a mentoring situation taking ownership away from the person setting the goals. Be good at listening!