In 2010, Ross Morrison McGill founded @TeacherToolkit from a simple Twitter account through which he rapidly became the 'most followed teacher on social media in the UK'. In 2015, he was nominated as one of the '500 Most Influential People in Britain' by The Sunday Times as a result of being most influential in the field of education. He remains the only classroom teacher to feature to this day ... Sharing resources and ideas online as @TeacherToolkit, he has built this website (c2008) which has been described as one of the 'most influential blogs on education in the UK', winning the UK Blog Awards (2018). Read more...

5 thoughts on “10 Teaching Ideas to Bin in 2017

• 8th January 2017 at 8:19 pm

seriously irritated that judgements are still passed by SMT who are not qualified to do so….agree with all you say.Thank you-do you do INSETs in primary schools……

• 8th January 2017 at 8:57 pm

Hi Lorraine. Thanks for the comment. Yes and hope to do more in the summer term. Send me an email. Thanks.

• 9th January 2017 at 8:04 am

Nice list! Although I haven’t taught in the UK for some time, I can empathise with some of your concerns. Not sure about the last one though. Written feedback (eg. feedback via google doc comments) can allow for anytime, anywhere progression. I don’t have to be in the room at the same time to hear the words come out of your mouth – and we can still have a ‘conversation’ on the document thanks to the wonders of technology. Whilst one student may appreciate short bursts of verbal feedback, another may find it more effective to access written comments at home, or at break time, when they have time to read through and process them. If written succinctly, they can be just as effective as verbal feedback.

• 9th January 2017 at 10:39 am

As I read this this morning I pretty much agreed with it al (not completely convinced about no written feedback, the problem at my school is the frequency it is required!). Sadly, I have got to school this morning to find out that not only are we having to enter data 6 times a year for KS4 students (has been the case for the last two years), we also need to enter it 6 times a year for every PP student. Data overload!

• 9th January 2017 at 2:36 pm

Ouch! I can’t imagine the data will change too often if you are reporting it every 8 weeks! What a waste of your time. I think 3 assessment points in the year is sensible, even more sensible if you have an admin team to input all of the data for you.