If you led whole-school teaching and learning and could build teaching and learning power in your school, what would you do?
This is a blog about developing job descriptions to build teaching and learning power within schools. I am currently developing plans to build 3-4 teaching positions within school, to strengthen the teaching and learning team for 2015/16. At the moment I have an open brief, but I am very clear in my mind what I believe we need at our school. What I am hoping from the reader, is to identify any missed opportunities. Having read this, if there is anything glaring obvious missing from this **draft job description, please contact me below.
These positions are an opportunity to take a lead in whole-school teaching and learning and develop personal leadership skills in observation, feedback and coaching and mentoring; as well as the professional development of others working at the forefront of academic research and national teaching pedagogy. The successful person(s) will join a group of experienced teachers already driving whole-school practice.
Positions for Consideration:
- A member of teaching staff to support initial teacher training.
- A member of staff to develop a culture of action research.
- Two members of staff to drive standards of whole-school teaching and learning.
Purpose of the Job:
- To drive the quality of teaching and learning across the school.
- To conduct observations, CPD sessions and action research.
- To drive the quality of professional development across the school.
- To deliver high quality professional development for all staff.
Draft Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching and Learning:
- To drive a reflective and developmental culture of teaching and learning.
- To support the teaching and learning team with the quality assurance of teaching and learning across the school.
- To lead on Open Classroom; triads; learning walks; IRIS Connect; feedback and relevant models of observation practice.
- To support the Initial Teacher Training needs of the school. For example, Schools Direct, Teach First, Beginning Teachers and NQTs.
- To quality assure Initial Teacher Training across the school.
- To lead the quality assurance of subject mentoring and strengthen the quality of ITT support provided at departmental level.
- To help drive professional development opportunities across the school.
- To design and deliver CPD sessions for all staff at all levels.
- To lead and support ITT training sessions.
- To promote action research for all staff; sharing what works and what doesn’t work in the classroom. Investigating academic research where possible to dispel myths and help improve teaching practice.
- Attend teaching and learning meetings as required.
- Attend and participate in staff training and learning activities as required.
- To contribute to the quality control of all teaching and learning documentation and marketing internally/externally across the school.
- Carry out any duties as may be required commensurate with the overall responsibility of the post.
- Promote excellent relationships and a positive ethos when communicating with students, staff, parents, governors and external contact.
- To support the school with recruitment, particularly teaching and learning requirements at interview.
**Much of the above is a first draft and subject to change.
Please feedback here. Thanks TT.