Have you ever had to teach first aid?
Our 110th interview is with, Juliette Ryan, product manager for community education at the British Red Cross.
In this podcast, listen to Juliette and Teacher Toolkit founder, Ross McGill discuss:
- The British Red Cross campaign to get first aid embedded into the curriculum
- The creation of the First aid champions resource
- Juliette’s schooling experiences, her pathway into education and her product manager responsibilities
- How heritage of the British Red Cross in providing first aid
- How teachers and young people can use the first aid champions resource E.g. head injuries
- How Juliette designs the First aid champions resource with the workload of teachers in mind
- Plus, teacher feedback and how the British Red Cross help build the first Aid confidence of teachers.
Listen to the podcast (31 minutes)
Remember, the podcast is available on iTunes!
Get started with First aid champions!
First aid champions is a toolkit in which there are differentiated activities for 5-18 year-olds. Teachers can pick and mix from quizzes, films, and engaging and practical activity ideas.
How do you make first aid simple to teach and easy to learn?
The resources are structured in a modular fashion to make them easy to navigate. The curriculum follows a ‘learn, practise, share’ approach, with activities to help children develop understanding and then try out what they have learned. Examples include:
- First aid skills
- Kindness and coping
- and Safety – learn how to call 999.
All schools must teach first aid as part of the new statutory Relationships and Sex Education curriculum. As a leading provider in first aid education, the British Red Cross is on a mission to make first aid simple to teach and easy to learn!
Juliette Ryan, Product Manager for the British Red Cross.
This is a promotion