Want to encourage your pupils to aim high?
Although many young people have huge aspirations, there is often a still a deep disconnect between socially deprived pupils and aiming high.
The Ten Year Plan
- Hold a meeting with the child in mind.
- Discuss what aspiration means and why it can help us to keep focussed day to day.
- Ask the child if they have any aspirations.
- Talk about what they don’t want life to be like for themselves as an adult.
- Talk about what the child does want for themselves.
- Add ten to their age. Ask them to imagine where they want to be in ten years and what they might be doing.
- Ask them how they might journey towards their ten year aspiration: “Is there anything you can do from tomorrow to work towards your goal?”
- Help the child make an action plan with three simple steps to take this week in order to make tiny steps towards their aspiration.
- Check in over the week or term to see how progress towards aspirations is unfolding.
Why this strategy works
Investing in time with a child to really highlight how what they do now can impact their future can be really eye opening. Everyone has an aspiration; help pupils discover theirs.
Don’t attempt these discussion unless the child is in an open frame of mind.